Monday, October 26, 2015

Molting Chickens = No Eggs

Our chickens are molting, and if you know anything about chickens, you know that when they are molting (losing their feathers), they don't lay because all of their energy goes to growing new feathers. So, for the first time in quite sometime, I had to buy eggs at the store so I could complete my weekend orders. I almost cried. We still have a few eggs left for eating, but I didn't want to deplete our supply. There is such a noticeable difference between our free range chicken eggs and store bought eggs. You have to experience it to understand.  Here are some pictures of our poor little chickens losing all their feathers. There are feathers everywhere-inside and outside of the coop. Hoping they will regrow before the real cold weather hits. 




No comments: