Monday, April 20, 2015

Having fun with molds and modeling chocolate!

A month or so ago, I secured an order for an "under the sea" quinceanera cake and cupcakes, coming up in June. The mom gave me a few pictures, but has pretty much given me free reign on the design. So anyway, I have been experimenting on using silicone molds- both ones I have purchased and ones I have made myself. 

By far, my most favorite silicone molds are ones from First Impression. Some of them are quite pricey, but worth it, if it's something you really need. I have gotten a couple of molds from them that I don't like. They are usually the ones that are very shallow. But, with only a couple of exceptions, First Impression molds are super! 


Recently, I have found a product to make my own silicone molds. It's called Amazing Mold Putty. It's a 2-part material that you blend together, and after a few minutes, it sets up. As long as I have an original of something I want to mold, this is great stuff. You can either buy it online, or at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. It costs about $20, but I wait until I have a 40 or 50 percent off coupon and use that. 



My favorite medium to use with these silicone molds is modeling chocolate. Click here for the recipe. I also use the ratio of 1 lb. of chocolate to 1/2 cup corn syrup when using Ghirardelli chocolate (my favorite). I like using modeling chocolate because it's easy to push into the molds, then you can plop it into the freezer for a few minutes, and it hardens really nicely so you can remove it from the mold. It's really fun to work with! So let me share with you a few things I've been working on. 

 I haven't painted any of these yet, but already they look amazing! 
 The detail is incredible!
 I tried making my own sand dollar mold, but it just didn't work out. This one is amazing!
 I love this! I added a little dark chocolate to white chocolate and the color already is pretty nice.
More coral... I'm so excited to use these on my cake!

Here are some of the molds I have made myself with the Amazing Mold Putty...



 Original starfish

Starfish made from modeling chocolate

No comments: