Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup... it's good for the soul... and the tummy!


Here's another favorite soup recipe, given to me from a dear friend, Lynne, many years ago. She brought it over one day when I was down sick with a terrible cold, and our family has loved it ever since. This is the original recipe with just a little tweaking on my part as far as spices. 

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

3 cups chicken broth or stock
2 tsp. chicken bouillon (I sometimes leave this out to cut down on the sodium)
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk (if you want it richer, use cream)
2 cups cooked, diced chicken (I use the canned chicken from Costco)
4 cups cooked noodles (don't overcook)
Poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper to taste

Bring chicken broth or stock to boil. Add chopped vegetables and cook until tender. Add cream of chicken soup and milk. Bring to boil. Add chicken, cooked noodles, and spices (I love thyme) and heat through. Makes a large pot, about 10 servings. This is good warmed up as leftovers, like most soups. 




No comments: